Saturday, August 1, 2009

Traing for Training

Well, I am now in my training village, Traing, living with a host family. No running water, no electricity, and very little language that I can actually use. My house is the furthest from anybody, way behind some green rice paddies and bomb craters from some of our B-52s. I am a mere 25-30 kilometers from Vietnam and my village was bombed during the war. My host family is very accommodating, but I am living in a very rural village. This precious internet access comes after three hours of one way traveling, Amazing Race style, across the country.

Currently I am in Tramkok, the other training site visiting with friends on my day off and hopping online for a minute. The experience has been very intense, a bit of struggle, but already incredibly rewarding. Unfortunately there are no USB drives on these computers, so the pictures will have to wait. I am in one piece though, dengue free, and having a blast. Hopefully in the next two weeks I can update this again with some of my stories. I already have many. They range from squat potty use (no toilette paper), hand washing clothes with a platoon of Khmer women barking at me, and just plain developing world craziness.

I'll update in a couple of weeks. Until then, Lee-Hi!

1 comment: